Friday, June 11, 2010

Nabokov


What does Nabokov think makes a good reader?
1. The reader should have imagination.
2. The reader should have memory.
3. The reader should have a dictionary.
4. The reader should have some artistic sense.
Do you agree? Yes, I do agree.
What do you believe are the characteristics of a good reader?
I think the most important thing is to have an imagination. Having memory is good, however I don’t think it is necessary to be a good reader. You can always go back if you don’t remember a particular passage or paragraph and reread it. Time, is a big one for me. One should have time to devote to and concentrate on while reading. I think a dictionary is very important in the event that you don’t know what a particular word means you can look it up. However, in the age of the internet, it’s not as necessary, one could just Google it. I do believe a good reader should have some artistic sense. I think as humans we all have imagination and artistic sense on some level. I like the idea of feeling with the spine. If I am reading a book, I like to really think deeply about what the author is trying to portray. Even if I don’t agree with his or her point of view, I try to keep an open mind and really think about the story that is being told.
Do you consider yourself a good reader? Yes, I consider myself a good reader. I am a busy person, so I don’t get to read for pleasure as much as I would like to. But I read every day, mostly for research in my work. But I do have an imagination, concentration when necessary and I think I have some artistic sense. I think I was a better reader when I was younger, mostly because I spent most summers reading and at the library. I really enjoy reading for pleasure.
http://www.gailborden.info/m/

No comments:

Post a Comment