Friday, June 18, 2010


Sam Hamill Response
Sam Hamills’, “The necessity to Speak,” I thought was interesting in that it makes you look at how to write a poem. How writing poetry, in great detail tries to get you to see the author’s truth. To write of the things you may not want to see. Because you want to deny the reality of the world we live in. This was great example of different styles of poetry and why people write poetry the way they do.
It was interesting to read about his opinion on violence, how violence is a cycle. I believe this to be true. Those who were abused as children become the abusers. Women in abuse relationships, often repeat the cycle of going into another abusive relationship. Men in prison, eventually return to prison, because they have become institutionalized and lack the skills to stay out of prison. The fact that death row inmates may have had unfortunate childhoods and were abused is true. However, I do believe if you take a life, in certain circumstances, you should be executed. I don’t believe that women who have been abused and kill their abusers should be executed. I believe that this is self-defense and they should not be executed.
When he speaks of war, to some extent I agree. However, over the centuries of our existence there has been war. War is a fact of life and somehow it seems we cannot escape it. I am a very compassionate person, and I don’t like violence, but I do believe that war is sometimes a necessary thing. The fact that we allow recruiters to come into our schools, is questionable. We try to protect our children from so much. However, it’s ok to let recruiters on to high school campuses to recruit our children? I get his point there.
“The first duty of the writer is the rectification of names—to name things properly/ all wisdom in learning to call things by the right name.” (Hamill, page 549). This is a great quote. I do like the idea that the author in this case is vulnerable and is taking responsibility for what we interpret in their meaning.
“Knowledge is the loss of innocence.” (Hamill, page 550). I also like this quote in that I believe this to be true. We try to protect our children from certain things. Certainly, we lose our innocence when learning of some of the horrible things that have happened in history. Some of it is so ugly and vile. I think there is a time and place for everything and when a child is ready to learn of these things we should teach them. I think knowledge is truth.
“The true poet gives up the self.” (Hamill, page 551). I think this quote is quite true as well. In writing poetry the author allows you to experience for yourself what he or she is seeing, experiencing. It allows you to go through what they are going through. To use your imagination, and place yourself there or at least look at things from the author’s point of view.
I think Hamill, is a great teacher, author and activist. He breaks down how to write a poem. What you should keep in mind while writing it. I think it’s great that he teaches in prisons. He is very talented in his description of how to write what may not ordinarily acceptable by society.
http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/733

No comments:

Post a Comment